Saturday, June 25, 2011

Stop saying that!

There are certain phrases that need to stop being used. Right now!

"What's shaking, Bacon?" Why are we calling someone Bacon? Is using a meat product as a name for someone appropriate. Can we call people Spam or Filet Mignon? Sure, it rhymes but is that a valid reason to do it?

When someone asks you how you alone are doing, do not say "We are fine.". There is no we there. You are a single person. Sure, there may be multiple people in your head who need to have their own voice but now is not the time to reveal you have multiple personalities.

"Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes clear to the bone!". Yes, I get it. I am not attractive. Now can we move on?

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey". Cute. Apparently in the name of rhyming we have lost the ability to use real words. "My Name is Earl" had a worse version with "Wakey, wakey, hands off snakey.". It made it worse since that was an older brother saying it to the younger. I have said many things but I would never say that to a family member. Probably not to anyone. This would involve commenting on somebody's personal business. Plus it would indicate that I am in a position to see this and I shudder at the thought of it.

"You're a chip off the old block." Is the old block decaying and rusting away so that little parts are breaking or flaking away? What if the old block is repugnant? Would you want to be a chip of that block? What if the old block is ashamed of the new block and wants no part of the new one? Can the old block deny any part of him making the new block? "You got that from your mother's block, I know you did not get from a chip of me!"

"He was a quiet man, never really bothered anyone" in reference to reporters speaking to the neighbors/friends of someone accused/convicted of a horrible crime. Isn't this now a cliche. I want to hear the truth--"He was crazy. I would have reported him to the police but I was scared for my life. I once saw him eat a dog whole. Just picked it up and put the whole thing in his mouth. You could still hear it barking and I don't mean one of them small yapping breeds. It was a Great Dane!". Of course one might have to question the validity of this statement.

The question what do you think when you don't really want the answer. "What do you think about this dress?"
"I think it is horrible and cannot believe you spent money on it. The color scheme is terrible and it obviously does not fit. I think my soul died a little bit just by looking at it." The results of this answer lead back to the previous paragraph just replace he with she.

"I just threw up a little bit in my mouth." Thanks for sharing. I always want to know when someone does that.
So now you have a kissable mouth.

The phrase too much information, TMI. I never let it get to this point. When someone starts to tell me things I don't need to know, I just say "Stop talking to me." Or I just walk away. Rude, possibly but since you do not have the courtesy to filter what you are saying to me, I am not going to stand there and listen to the story about how you learned to turn from an innie to an outie.

Comments always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment