Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Craig Ferguson exits

There is a month left until Craig Ferguson completes his 10 year run as the host of "The Late Late Show." I, for one, am going to miss him. While I have not watched every episode and while I have not watched half of all the episodes, I have watched many and was amused by his deconstructionist approach to the talk show. One particular downside to his departure is that I will never be a guest on his talk show (my bucket list will be incomplete).


I rarely watch talk shows as it just seems like they are softball questions for the guest or only to promote their newest thing. Which is okay since that is the purpose of most talk shows. Not this show. He rarely discusses what the individual is there to promote. He takes a different approach where the guests never know where he is going to lead them.


Here are some things he did differently that made his show like no other talk show on TV.


Gay robot skeleton sidekick


A not a real horse.


"It's a great day for America."


Interaction with the audience by bringing some on stage.


Positioning his desk so it is not between him and his guest.


Trinkets on his desk.


Self healing fireplace.


The monologue was rarely prepared material.


He brought on people who are not seen in many other places such as scientists and stars who aren't seen much anymore like Don Rickles and Carl Reiner.


He tells guest how fantastic they look (no matter what they are wearing).


Ripping up the blue notecards.


"Fancy an awkward pause?"


The time he realized his mocking people may actually be hurtful to the people since he doesn't know what struggles they are going through (This was revealed in a monologue concerning Kevin Costner).




I think my favorite moment from this show is the Christmas episode with Kristen Bell and Wolfgang Puck (years ago). They were cooking duck and her reaction when they tried to get her to do something with the dead duck still makes me laugh.


For all these reasons and many more I am going to miss seeing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment