Thursday, April 26, 2012

State of my Union 2011-2012

Another year has gone by for me and this year, like every year, has been full of change. Change is one constant in my life and while I would like things to stay the same for a while, I know this is a bad wish. My faux big sister, Kim, tells me that I do things (devilish things) when I get bored and I need things to keep me occupied. So while I would like some constancy in my life I know this may not be the best thing for me.

The year was full of good and bad things with several events being in both categories. One of the big things is that I am employed for which I am grateful. While my current positions are not ideal they are bringing money in. The work is not guaranteed and I want to find a position where the work is steady. Education may not be the best place for assured work right now.

I moved again which should come as no surprise to anyone. Moving is one thing I do on a regular basis and I am growing weary of it but I do not know how to set down roots or to find some place that I want to stay. People are always amazed/confused that I have never found a place that I wanted to stay or could not easily leave behind.

A roommate threatened to kill me and burn down where we live. It was not done in a joking manner. He was completely serious as he yelled this at me. The fact I was not killed does not encourage me to think that it will not happen. I imagine one day he will snap even if it is not with me.

I attended several comic and anime conventions over the past year. This allowed me to create blogs on my experiences, meet many great new people, take many photos of cosplayers and see the work of artists I would not have experienced otherwise. I imagine I will meet many more people over the course of the year if I continue to attend conventions. Being able to afford them can be a issue since I do not live near any that I wish to attend so transportation and hotel accommodations are required.

I have started listening to the Carolyn and Joe Show. This is a podcast by two comic creators I met during the year. They read viewer questions at the end of each show and I have contributed several so Carolyn dubbed it "Al's Corner." http://carolynandjoeshow.wordpress.com/

I spent another year with my cats. Blackberry will be nine years old soon and time has just flown by. It seems like just yesterday I was adopting a little 5 week old ball of fluff. My other cat came into my life when BB was 5 and I realized he needed a friend. I went and adopted another 5 year old so they would be the same age. Fortunately the two accepted each other and there is no battle royale going on.

Some things have stayed the same over the course of the year. I am still unmarried (women exercising their choice), not hanging out with other people for multiple reasons (one being my schedule of job hunting and actually working), reading a good deal (but not as much as in previous years) and researching a great deal of topics.

One of my main goals is to attend the large convention in Atlanta later this year. This depends on several factors such as money (okay, it is really only one factor). I have been hear about this convention for years and I think this is the time for me to go.

I have no idea what to expect over the next 12 months. I hope it is not the same as the last 12. I want to find a career. I want to become better at photography so I can do justice to the people I meet at the conventions. I want to making friends that want to talk to me on a semi-regular basis. Maybe the last one is wanting too much. There are many more wants out there but those are neither here nor there.

All in all I am not pleased with this year. While I have met some interesting people in my travels during the year I also saw some long time friends move on. I wish they were still willing to talk to me but things have changed. I have seen my financial situation worsen due to the limited employment. My roommate situation was mentioned before and it is an uncomfortable living environment. I hope this year is better and sees me gainfully employed by this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment